An In-Depth Look Into The Latin American Market
OPV Latin America focuses on the OPV and Naval Power in this critical emerging market. If you’re interested in showcasing your product or solution to this audience, contact Yousuf Malik at email@example.com or download the Sponsorship Prospectus.
The Latest In The Defence IQ OPV Conference Series
OPV Latin America is part of Defence IQ’s successful OPV event series, which has been running for 6 years. Learn more about the other highly regarded events, including the flagship conference in Europe and the regional meeting in Asia. View more
View this year’s programme
Download the full agenda to see the full speaker faculty and session details. View this year’s programme
Welcome to OPV & Surface Combatants Latin America 2014
The 2012 and 2013 conferences comprehensively explored partnership and business opportunities for global industry in the region and delivered two exceptional agendas for Brazil. Now, after two years in Rio de Janeiro, Offshore Patrol Vessels & Surface Combatants Latin America returns for 2014, in the new location of Cartagena, Colombia.
Officially supported by COTECMAR and the Colombian Navy, the 2014 conference will examine topics intrinsic to the OPV and combat ship market such as shipbuilding capacity, systems design, damage control, program management and operational capability. Latin America continues to be one of the more dynamic naval markets in the world with new OPV procurement projects emerging in Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Uruguay and Mexico. These complement the large maintenance and upgrade requirements within Brazil and Chile.
Colombia is right at the epicentre of this dynamism where, under the Colombian Navy’s 'Orion Plan', 6 OPVs are being built by 2015. What effect will this new class of vessel have on the regional marketplace? Are these the export models of the future?
So, according to Dr. Juan Carlos Pinzón Bueno, Colombian Defence Minister, WHY DO BUSINESS IN COLOMBIA?
Colombia at a Glance
- The Colombian economy is growing at over 4.5% yearly
- Foreign investment now accounts for around 28-29% of GDP and the government would welcome more
- Colombia has enjoyed 3 consecutive years of credit rating agency upgrades
Colombia as a Strategic Security Partner
- Colombia has recently signed agreements with NATO and the EU as a prelude to enable greater trade and export licensing
- The Colombian Police Force enacts bilateral engagement with every country in the Caribbean Basin and Latin America
- The Police are investing in delivering additional effect in support of the Green Heart anti-drug project
- The Colombian Police Force is set to swell its numbers by 15000 to help assure security in the country- these additional officers will - need physical protection
The Future of Colombian Defence Capability
- There is an on-going strengthening, modernization and transformation programme for the military
- The military is moving towards a model of aligned force capability with additional focus placed upon rapid deployment, flexibility and multi-purpose capability
- They are procuring helicopters, airlifters and, significantly, hovercrafts
- The Colombian military is investing heavily in technology and personnel
- The Colombian Defence Minister places a serious amount of priority on ISR capability
Why OPV 2014?
Defence IQ’s inaugural OPV Latin America conference responded to demand from the region following the success of our long-standing OPV conference series. Incorporating similar themes to our European, Asian and Middle Eastern events, OPV Latin America 2013 offered a unique perspective on the procurement strategy and operational concepts of key Latin American navies.
Following the success of last year’s event OPV & Surface Combatants Latin America 2014 is the only naval event in South America that provides an honest assessment of how to balance requirements and capability with acquisition and operational costs while sharing combating solutions to the most prevalent security concerns.
In addition to revealing procurement and acquisition strategies and inspecting several fleet renewal and OPV projects, the event will include in-depth technological presentations covering innovative solutions on system integration and capability implementation.
OPV Online Content
Look through our Offshore Patrol Vessel Content Library for FREE Online Content – from speaker interviews to past presentations!
Here's a sample:
View the full Content Library for free resources!
"Defence IQPC OPV Conferences provide a veritable platform and ample opportunity for intellectual exchange and networking by leaders of world navies, maritime operators and other stakeholders with the ultimate objective of developing requisite architecture for enhanced security of the global commons" - Vice Admiral OS Ibrahim, Chief of the Naval Staff, Nigerian Navy
“I look forward to sharing in discussions, and exchanging ideas with the diverse range of navies and coast guards, on their latest OPV developments and performance at the 6th Annual Offshore Patrol Vessels conference.” Commander Bessa Pacheco, Plans & Policy Division, Portuguese Navy
"The annual Offshore Patrol Vessels Conference organized by IQPC has become an important reference world forum concerning the growing use of these naval assets, when senior representatives from different Navies can present and discuss the solutions they have found to reconcile technical issues with operational tasks and budget constraints so as to better accomplish their missions. ..." - Rear Admiral Francisco Deiana, Director of Naval Engineering, Brazilian Navy
» View more